Conquering Freshman year is no easy task, but you have to do it. We all have to do it. Hopefully, you'll get the hang of living college life soon after you arrive on campus, but here are a couple things to help make this a smooth transition.
1. Ease into it. College is fun, and you're going to be busy with homework, social life, and new friends. Take it slow. If there was ever a time to apply the cliche "this is a marathon, not a sprint," that time would be now.
2. Beware of the dining hall. The all-you-can-eat buffet style of dining halls is really fun at first, but then your jeans start to rip at the seams, and the damage is already done. Don't go crazy in the dining halls, if only for your own good.
3. The gym is your friend. This goes along with number 2, but we're saying this because we care: GO TO THE GYM. This will be, without a doubt, the most unhealthy lifestyle you will live for 4 years. Help yourself out and get some cardio in a few times a week.
4. Go to class! Mom and Dad aren't there to make you do anything, and your teachers are much less on top of you than they were in high school. The temptation to skip class will be at an all time, ignore this temptation! It's all fun and games until you get a 37 on a test and a 52 on a project.
5. Step out of your comfort zone. This is the time to recreate yourself! Do something you normally wouldn't, and talk to people you wouldn't have in high school. We promise you'll have fun diving into new parts of life.
Drake love you, but yes new friends. We like new friends!
6. Remember: Shared living spaces. Your roommate may love you, but he/she probably doesn't love your late night food sprawled across the floor. Being courteous will save you a big headache in the long run.
7. Communication! It's easy to get caught up in your new college world, but don't forget about old friends too!
8. Adjust your expectations. This isn't Hollywood. What you see on TV isn't exactly what you'll be getting in college. Don't bring any negative judgements to school with you.
I won't confirm or deny that I've had "Animal House" type nights while at college... but adjust your standards accordingly, please and thank you.
9. Laundry. Do it, or you'll be wearing bathing suit bottoms to class. Enough said.
10. You're going to walk everywhere. This is simply a fact, because most campuses don't allow freshman to have cars on campus. You will walk EVERYWHERE. So pack a heavy coat if you're going somewhere cold, and don't wear your coolest, trendiest, most uncomfortable shoes to explore campus.
11. Change is good! Or least that's what I keep telling myself when I'm forced to change things in my life....but seriously, change! Yay! Go into college with an open mind!
I'm not going to put "have fun" or "be yourself" on this list, but you know, do those things too. College is awesome. You are awesome. It's going to be a great 4 years.